TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Battle Scars

After my last fall (which I wrote about in my last entry in “Seven More Miles”), I wasn’t myself for several days – not that “being myself” is all that great. But after the fall, I felt “under the weather,” achy and sore.  And the next day, my first day back to work, I was a bit cranky. I didn’t have as much patience as I usually do with my students. I apologized to them, and they said, “Oh, no! It’s me not you!!”   My students are so polite and appreciative. I love them. I told a few female students about my fall and showed them my battle scars. They cringed and turned quickly away. Maybe I should not have revealed the damage.

Quite frankly, I was a little embarrassed about walking around with scabby legs – as the scabs ran from my knee down to my ankle. Being that I wear dresses when not on the trails, I wore boots all week to cover the damage. And being that I did not run all week, but spent my workout time at the gym, I wore leggings instead of shorts, in order to cover the damage. To top it off, the hole in my hand wasn’t healing as quickly as I wished because I picked at it too much. Come to think of it, I picked at the scabs on my leg as well. Sad smile

It took me seven whole days to get back out on the trails. I needed about three days to recover from the accident, and then it rained for a few more days. Finally, on the seventh day (Sunday, April 10), we had a break in the rain, and amazingly, Aliso/Woods Canyons was not closed due to “wet and muddy conditions.”  It was a beautiful day, and I enjoyed my eight mile loop immensely. It’s always so crisp and clear after a rain. I’m glad I enjoyed it while I could, because little did I know that I would not get in a run for the next seven days. I have not run since. To make up for it, one might think that I over did it at the gym with three plus hours of cardio each visit. In reality, I can hardly feel three hours of cardio at the gym in comparison to a few hours on the trails. And all it is, is cardio, and that is not my ultimate goal – time on the trails where I can heal and grow – that is my ultimate goal.

My April 10 route: Wood Canyon, Cholla Trail, West Ridge to Top of the World, West Ridge, Mathis, Wood Canyon.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

4 10 16

No comments:

Post a Comment