TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Crushing Fatigue

photo (11)For several months now I have been been feeling lethargic, and growing more so lately.  I have no motivation to do anything that requires too much exertion.  Though I train at the gym about five days a week, I can’t manage to move very quickly or for very long.  It’s a big bummer, more so I think, because this fatigue affects me mentally.  I feel weak.  And I hate that.  Hate it! 

I decided recently to research premenopausal symptoms, as I have the joy of going through that the past six months or so.  And while I did not find the term lethargy in my research, I did come across the terms “extreme fatigue” and “crashing fatigue,” as common symptoms.  Aha!  I guess that makes me feel a little better.  At least there’s an apparent reason to my lethargy.  But the more I throw the terms around in my mind, the more “CRUSHING fatigue” seems to fit my what I’m experiencing -- it’s crushing my physical and mental well-being, it crushes my spirit.  

This past Sunday evening, I decided to get out and just force myself to put in some trail miles.  I took a little run along West Ridge to Top of the World, which isn’t exactly flat.  And I must say, I felt pretty miserable in the beginning.  Actually, I never really felt “good” in the sense of feeling physically or mentally strong.  Once I decided that it did not matter what time I finished, that it was okay to finish in the dark however, I did enjoy the coastal scenes, the gentle off-shore breezes and little evidences of wildlife like bunnies scurrying across the road and stink bugs sticking their heads in the dirt.  I hiked some, and I ran some.  My legs felt like heavy awkward boards when I ran.  They felt a little lighter when I hiked.  I guess it would be prudent to take on something with not so much elevation during this “crushing fatigue” period.  But I can’t help it.  I’m just an elevation junkie.  

photo (12)photo (10)

8 16 15

1 comment:

  1. ...the fatigue and low energy I have felt the past year are maddening. Running two half marathons last summer was an eye opener. I had expectations of crossing the finish line well under 2 hours, but found myself struggling with fatigue and weakness and disappointing 2:09 and 2:07 finish times. My runs remind me of bad dreams I have had where I cannot pick up my feet and my legs feel like cement blocks!
    I am sure these symptoms will ease with time. Oh how I miss being in my 30's!! Hope you find your energy and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete