TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Freedom

I felt a great sense of freedom after questioning whether or not I should continue with my trail (aka adventure) running.  My Plantar Fasciitis has grown so bad that it is practically crippling when I’m not running.  I have so little time to get out to the trails that I adore, and I have lost much endurance.  After I considering throwing in the towel, I remembered something very important.  Merely contemplating quitting reminded me that I am free.  I run because I choose to run.  And I can choose not to whenever I want.  That single notion helped me a great deal mentally over the past week. 

Last Tuesday (3/31) I had little time, so I ran out the front door for some beach front running.  I got in 5.43 miles.  (8.74 km).  Two days later, I ran practically the same route (with less than 200’ elevation gain) for 5.23 miles (8.42 km) before heading off to work.  It wasn’t fun, and I wasn’t pretty. Smile with tongue out  But I was very glad afterward for the time on my feet.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESFinally, on Good Friday (4/3) I had all the time in the world to get in some long trail miles.  Instead, I chose to hike with Chalynn, a wonderful woman is who a canyon activist and also the race director to one of my favorite races (The Great Silverado Footrace).  Chay lead a group of us (about 8 total) along 7.05 miles (11.35 km), climbing 1,755’ (535 m) to a gigantic cross in Baker Canyon (very near to Silverado Canyon). We met many hikers out there, most stopping at a number of stations along the way to commemorate The Passion Play. 

Following Chay’s Lead:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

On Saturday, I did some cross training at the gym and then returned home to run a quick 1.16 miles around Doheny State Beach.  My middle son wants to increase his mile pace and asked me to help.  Thing is, he runs quicker than I do, and I struggled to keep up.  I will be good to increase his endurance.  If we are lucky, he will help me speed up as he increases his own speed. Winking smile

Monday (4/6), I was finally back on the trails.  The weather was warm with a lovely cool ocean breeze.  It was absolutely perfect for the 11.90 mile (19.15 km) run with 1,221’ (372 m) of elevation gain.  Sure, I could barely walk after resting back at home due to foot pain and stiffness.  But during, all was well as I made my way through Aliso and Wood Canyons, and up to the ridge for a glorious view of the Pacific Ocean. 

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Not only am I grateful for the peace and beauty this last run provided me, but I am also grateful that it beat the crap out of me so badly.  It was this run that prompted me to take my husband’s advice on a new stretch to alleviate the PF pain.  The new stretch is similar to my old stretch (dropping my heal down off a stair step), but it is more extreme due to the fact that my toes are raised over a rolled up towel.  It has helped immensely with immediate relief.  Time will tell if it will help “cure” the PF.  I am not overly optimistic.  But in the scheme of things, it doesn’t really matter.  What matters most is that I am free.Smile

It is good to realize my freedom.  Freedom alleviates a lot of the stress.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry that you're suffering from PF. I know we're all built differently, but for me, working myself into a minimalist shoe has been my salvation. I can't run long yet with my slipper-like shoes (still building my foot strength) but I can walk pain-free when I get out of bed in the morning.

    ReplyDelete