TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Old Goat 50 Behind The Scenes

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESNearly a week has passed since Old Goat 50.  There were defeats and there were triumphs for an amazing group of runners.  There were firsts, and I’m sure there were lasts.  Thankfully for me, Chimera had already broken me in.  Old Goat 50 was a cinch compared to that monster.  Only a day long, I was not delirious in need of sleep during Old Goat.  The skies were blue and sunny, but the weather was not too hot.  There were very few glitches in fact during Old Goat 50.  With the experience of Chimera in my back pocket, I knew what to expect, and in most cases saw potential problems before they occurred.  I even brought my scooter so that I could quickly get up Long Canyon Road and back (in case I needed to make a phone call, check on things, etc).  I might add though, it’s pretty much useless riding a scooter uphill.  I don’t know how many people told me I needed to put a motor on that thing.  (No motor for me!).  But the down hills through the campground were a blast, and I was back again, quickly at the start line in a flash.  (So I got in some exercise too).

Of course, coordinating Old Goat wouldn’t have been a cinch if I didn’t have such a wonderful pool of people chipping in.  I am continually amazed how much of themselves people will give.  In addition to the race directors Steve and Annie Harvey, we had about 22 HAM radio operators, two parking attendants, one medic, four drivers, four sweeps, and 34 workers to staff nine aid stations.

A little glimpse behind the scenes ~

Check-in:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSteve at the bullhorn with race instructions:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESWorking the finish line:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESAid station crew waiting to take the trip up the mountain:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESBlue Jay aid station (located at the start/finish line):SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSweeps:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESTiming:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESWhat it’s all about – runners crossing the finish line:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

No comments:

Post a Comment