TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

When All Fails, Go To “Where The Sidewalk Ends”

There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.
Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.
Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

I haven’t had much chance to run since I ended my Easter Running Streak.  I’ve been cross-training a little.  I’ve been working a lot.  This morning, I knew that I really needed to get out for a run.  It’s Wednesday after all, and I haven’t logged any miles for the week. After getting everyone fed, lunches made and the boys to school however, I had a meeting at the school district.  This was my original plan:  wear shorts, nice shorts to the meeting, but shorts nonetheless so that afterwards I can kick off my sandals, lace up some running shoes and get in my run.  I’d wear a nice summery blouse and change that in the car.  That way, I’d get some miles without wasting too much time.  But I realized this:  both of my knees have good-sized scabs on them from running falls.  Boo!  I could not go to a professional meeting with scabs on my knees.  Wearing shorts was pushing it.  But I have enough audacity to pull that off.  I don’t have enough audacity to show up with scabbed knees – not at age 49, perhaps when I was 12 attending a Girl Scout Meeting. Winking smile

Okay then.  I decided to put on a pair of slacks instead and drive home to change after the meeting.  By the time I arrived home however, it was already 11 AM.  Sad smile  And I was tired.  Sleepy tired.  And so I took a nap.  A NAP! 

Fast forward to late afternoon, after chores and getting the boys home, I was at a loss what to do.  I didn’t want to head off to the gym again.  And I just didn’t have time to get in some trails.  I did the next best thing.  I ran out the door and alongside the ocean to where the sidewalk ends.  And then I turned around and ran back home. 

Run done.

Miles logged: 5.58 (8.98 km)

No comments:

Post a Comment