TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year’s Eve Silverado Loop

I’m not sure that I can adequately write about my last run of 2011.  So I will probably let “the pictures tell the story.”  I will write that this run was fantastic.  It was difficult, quite difficult for me.  But I loved every second of it. 

I will also say that running friends are really something special.  We go through so much together.  It’s as if we escape all the harsh realities together and go to a place to share an awesomeness beauty together.  And we just “BE.”   That’s the way that I see it anyway.

In a nutshell, we began on a cold morning up Maple Springs Road.  My friend Jeremy had to turn back early.  But I’m really grateful for the time he was able to put in running with us all, especially on New Year’s Eve.  Three other friends, Kelly, Michael and Rob joined in on this spectacular run as well.  And I met a new running friend, Kurt, who also ran with us today.

At the top of Maple Springs run we continued up and down an excruciating rolling ridge.  Kelly remembered and pointed out the exact spot I began to see stars when I ran this very same loop 2 years ago.  I looked ahead at the large ascent approaching, and I thought “OH MY!!!”  This time though, I ran the whole thing.  Don’t get me wrong.  I didn’t sprint it.  I ran it more at a snail’s pace.  But I ran it.

Some scenes from today’s EPIC run:

Kurt, Rob, Michael, Kelly, Me, Jeremy ready to take off up Maple Springs:

Kelly, Michael & Jeremy as we began this run on asphalt:

Group photos at “Four Corners.”

Running the Main Divide I look at Maple Springs in almost disbelief that we ran that thing: Smile

Rob & Kelly look out over Riverside County from the Main Divide:

Rob’s new pet; he runs this snake back to the cars:

Running the Main Divide, will the Silverado Motorway EVER get here?

Silverado Motorway at last!

Group shot running down Silverado Motorway:

Keeping the fluids flowing:

Rob and Michael take off on the steep, rocky, switch-back:

Silverado Motorway – about 2 1/2 miles, it seemed much shorter than 2 years ago:

Back at Maple Springs, a shot of my salt stained shirt:

Acting goofy back at the lot:

Miles run:  16.77 (26.99 km):Elevation Profile

My Activities Silverado Loop 12-31-2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I did that same loop today on yet another demo bike. Had I not started at 9:30, I surely would have run into you again. I remember that "death march" with you and Kelly (has it really been 2 years?)

    I may borrow your pictures of the GPS track and elevation profile if you don't mind. Beautiful, warm day, nice pictures, great support group - looks like you all had a blast. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer that we missed you! There were lots of mountain bikers out today. Yes, hard to believe it's been 2 years since we did this loop. I remembered that it was tough for me then, but I had forgotten how really, really tough it is.

    Borrow away.

    I definitely had a blast.

    Happy New Year Tom!

    ReplyDelete