TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Arroyo Trabuco Trail / OCTR New Member Run

Filling in again this month leading OCTR’s New Member Run, I scheduled a trail that I rarely run.  I ran it more frequently in the past, always lead by  Tom Fangrow

I’m not afraid to “lead” runs anymore.  Sometimes I’m the slowest runner.  Less frequently,  I’m the quickest.  Most of the times, I’m right in the middle.  It doesn’t matter either way.  But I was a bit nervous about getting lost on Arroyo Trabuco Trail.  Last night, I checked the map to see if I could figure out how to get to a part I really wanted to run.  I wasn’t sure if I figured it out. I finally resolved to mark the trail as we ran it.  Still, on the way to our meeting place, I thought to myself, I sure wish Tom would show up, he could show me the way on this trail.

Guess what?  The first thing I saw when I pulled into the parking lot was Tom’s car!  What a great surprise.  I was so happy to see the trail runner who showed me so much about trail running.  If it wasn’t for Tom I wouldn’t know about 90% of the trails that I’m familiar with.  I probably wouldn’t know how to run up hills (he’s the first one who told me to not think about the top, just think about the step I was on).  And he was the one who told me TO DRINK FLUIDS.  In fact, I ran my very first trail run with Tom on an OCTR New Member Run in Peter’s Canyon, June 2008.

Wow!

I had the pleasure of meeting and running with 3 other trail runners this morning also.  The weather was cool and overcast.  The trail beautiful.  We crossed streams and I plowed right through them as usual because I know my feet’s going to get wet sooner or later.  Eventually we all had wet feet.  Funny thing, I fell on this run.  It was a good kind of fall; I kind of rolled and hopped back up with no injury.  It seemed to freak out everyone, but I bet that Tom was a little used to my falls even though it’s been a while since we ran together.  He asked about my hand, and I later wondered if it was because of my big fall when we ran Santiago Truck Trail a couple years ago where I thought I broke my wrist.  The ladies insisted that I stop and check myself out.  I knew I was okay, but stopped anyway.  LOL.  If they’d seen some of my falls, they’d know that this was just a blip.  Smile

Fun short run, great meeting new people and seeing an old good friend (and I don’t mean old as in age)!  Today it seems apropos to end with an old, probably corny lyric that I used to sing in Girl Scouts: 

Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold.

Scenes from today

Parking lot meeting:  left to right, Me, Tom, Nina, Sherree, LaurenSANYO DIGITAL CAMERA           SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA           SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA           SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA           SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA           SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA           My Activities O'NEILL REGIONAL PARK-Arroyo Trabuco Trail 10-16-2011, Elevation - Distance

Miles logged this morning:  4.65

8 comments:

  1. you guys always look like you're having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, always looks like fun out there with you. I have to come join you some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I read about your pacer exp. I am so happy for you and for your friend! I have been really busy because school started back up again but I come and ghost your blog to see what you are up to just cuz I love your adventures so much. :-) You are a rockstar!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping to join you in another month or so....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading Ali Mc. Trail running to me seems like being a kid again (or for the first time, for those of us who grew up too fast).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait until you join us Johann!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kate! Pacing was definitely a lifetime experience for me. Good luck back in school. I envy you. I always loved learning. I looked into a masters program recently and yikes! I can't go into debt like that right now. I'll just run instead for now : ) I'm glad you like the adventures. Thanks again for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to that Glen. I haven't seen a November new member run posted yet, but I will try and attend the next few months. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete