TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Spasms

Two days of back spasms wiped this lady out.  They attacked suddenly, with no warning, and without mercy.  This caused a great deal of anxiety on my part.  The spasms thankfully, weren’t the worst that I’ve had.  They didn’t literally knock me to the ground.  But I often needed to suddenly grab onto something to keep up right, and sometimes, I’d grab something just out of fear that a spasm was approaching.

I think it’s been a good 8 months since I’ve had any spasms at all.  I thought I had them kicked.  Coincidentally, I’ve been slacking on the one exercise that I suspected finally got rid of them!

Needless to say, living in constant fear of an attack for nearly two days tired me immensely both physically and mentally.  I did manage to sneak in two hours at the gym, but I was afraid to run.  My husband asked me where it was in all my back spasm research that it said I should go work out at the gym?

Well, it never said that anywhere.

So there!  I did it in defiance.

At home I worked hard foam rolling, taking hot epsom salt baths, stretching, exercising, and eating ibuprofen.  My sons walked on my back, my husband helped stretch out my back by pulling my legs.

And then this morning.  Gone.  My back felt PERFECTLY fine.  With all the mental stress of these dang things, I just HAD TO GET OUT AND RUN.  And so I went for a run, a lovely run, nearly 12 miles in fact.  Whole miles went by that I had absolutely no recollection of.  But I recall climbing Meadows (the steepest incline on elevation profile below).  And I felt strong. Nearly 3 quarters of the way up, a bobcat came strutting down.  We both stopped in our tracks.  She was a big gal, light coat with dark spots.  A beauty.  I wasn’t turning back, so I walked toward her when she finally ducked into the brush alongside the trail.  I found a nice size rock to carry along and continued my run up, up, up.  And when I passed where the kitty had ducked in (I could still hear her walking about), I turned around and ran backward up that hill.  Though bobcats aren’t known to attack, you never know.  And I certainly didn’t want to show her my back and not see it coming if she did decide to pounce.

A successful run.  The back is back!

Miles logged this morning:  11.53 

Wood Canyon in the early morningSANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Entering MeadowsSANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Finishing up Meadows TrailSANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

View of Saddleback from top of MeadowsSANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Heading back down into Wood Canyon (via Rock It) after trip to Top of the WorldSANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Elevation Profile:8-25-2011, Elevation - Distance

8 comments:

  1. What exercise was it that you think cured the back spasms? I wrenched my back a few months ago and learned that if I foam roll my lower back it seems to help get the kinks out and prevent it. At least I'm hoping that's what has helped.

    And by the way, I don't comment much here but I'm always inspired by your runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain...No really, I've had children walking on my back too...and there's the current issue. But I am so glad you found your mojo and got back out to run. It cures a million woes - at least psychologically!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back spasms can be terrible. I've had my own bit of trouble and found one cause to be a chair at work. Lovely encounter with the bobcat! I'm always careful around the animals but love encounters like that. Happy running Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading tk42one. I appreciate your compliment. The foam roller works for many things with me, especially the IT band, and the glutes. But it's the exercise at this youtube link that I think stopped the spasms. It is the one referred to as nueroflossing (where the guy is sitting in the chair). You might have to copy & paste this, because i doubt it will come out as a link: http://youtu.be/tFtUgS69rPk

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps. tk42one, this time around I really believe the epsom salt baths and my husband pulling my legs to stretch out my body helped my back immensely. But I will continue the nueroflossing probably forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would throw that chair in the furnace Johann. When I hear that other people have back spasms oddly, I feel relief. Relief that I'm not crazy. I really wouldn't wish spasms on anyone, it's just that my family looks at me like I'm insane when I got through them. And yes, the bobcat encounter was truly lovely. She (he?) was the largest one I've run upon to date. A beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Windnsnow. I'm so sorry for your pain. It's the pits. I can't help but think of the welder applying fire to make things stronger.

    That run helped me in so many ways, especially psychologically. We're dealing with a lot down here. Running is a must for me (I'm also reading The Power of Now, which is really helping me to have what I get out of running during "real life." LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad your back pains seemed to have faded! Also very glad you didn't get mauled by a wild cat.

    ReplyDelete